Friday, November 05, 2004

Column: On the Morning of Election Day

As I write this it's very early morning Election Day in America. Maybe it's just me but it feels really quiet here -- a sense of anticipation in the air. I just looked online to see what, if anything, Arutz 7 and Haaretz are saying about the election -- not much there. Also, I noticed nothing there on bin Laden's poor excuse of a threat. The Jerusalem Post, does have a good piece online with a summary of different positions of note, including Sharon's new found neutrality.

Benny Elon is quoted in the Post article and what he says is on target:

"Bush is a much more loyal friend of Israel than any previous American president," said Elon, who attended the Republican Convention. "He was raised on the Bible; he's connected to Evangelical Christians who love Israel; and no one can take away from him the leadership he displayed in leading the international fight against Islamic extremists."
'
The Post reported: "Elon said that fears Bush would abandon Israel as a second-term president are unwarranted, because his loyalty to Israel was never connected to American Jewish voters, who did not support him in the first place. He said American Jews who are upset about the disengagement plan should blame Sharon, not Bush."

"You can't ask Bush to be more Catholic than the pope," Elon said. "Sharon convinced Bush to support a Palestinian state and back disengagement, so you can't blame him. Bush is more loyal to Israel than many of my colleagues in the Knesset."

I could turn on the local radio and listen for coverage but I won't. I really don't want to hear the sound of the voices of the likes of Yossi Sarid (is afraid of Bush's religiosity), Shimon Peres (he's actually hedging his bets and keeping quiet), and Yossi Beilen (has he actually said something?) -- no more than I want to hear the voices of Dan Rather, Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, George Soros or Chris Heinz.

I'll read about it all over the Internet -- at a safe distance -- and listen to talk radio over the Internet too (would that there was real talk radio here).

Talking about talk radio; here is something worth mentioning that I heard while listening to 77WABC -- live from NYC. It was suggested that the liberal media in America is about to find out how tired Americans are of their voice, as a surprisingly large number of people will be voting not only for Bush/Cheney but against Dan Rather -- the "guy" who as Jay Leno put it; "put the BS in CBS!" I found myself nodding enthusiastically as someone here who long ago grew weary to death of the local leftist media stew.

Actually, when asked on occasion as to how I learned Hebrew, I often joke that I listened to a lot of radio so as to absorb the language like a child -- by being surrounded by it -- and that when I began to understand I shut it off for good.

Back to Yossi Sarid and his fears of Bush's religiosity. Here's what he had to say:

"Bush runs the world on the basis of calls from the heavens," Sarid said. "The fact that this man runs the world gives me goose bumps. Sharon should be careful because Bush could hear a new voice from the heavens and change his mind about supporting Israel."

Typically, Sarid sees monsters hiding in the heart of every person of faith because for him, it seems, separation of church and state must necessarily take on a Marxist hue. What can he do? That's who he is. He's afraid of people who study the Bible and believe in G-d and pray to Him even if they have never shown anything but friendship to Israel -- unless they are Muslims -- in which case, like most of the radical left, he knows no fear even if they are sworn to our annihilation.

Sarid should take note that not enough religion and Bible study can be dangerous. Take Stalin and Mao for example, or more recently, and for obviously different reasons, George Soros.

I am talking about this that Soros said:

"If truth be known, I carried some rather potent messianic fantasies with me from childhood, which I felt I had to control, otherwise they might get me in trouble," Soros once wrote. When asked to elaborate on that passage by The Independent, Soros said, "It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of God, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out."

Since I Began to Live it out?!

See Frontpagemag.com for the articles "The Man Who Would be Kingmaker" by Rachel Ehrenfeld and Shawn Macomber -- it is quite a read on Soros -- and Kerry.

Well, it's gonna be a long night. Let's hope for the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home