Monday, December 27, 2004

Ari Shavit for Leftist Haaretz: an Interview with Leftist Icon Amos Elon

Ari Shavit: an Interview with Amos Elon:

Read an interview with "The man who was once the preeminent journalist in Israel has been totally erased from the memory. The man who was the chief chronicler of the Israeli story has ceased to register in the Israeli consciousness."


"Of course it's an illusion. Gaza will explode. I think there will be a terrible explosion there. That's why I still say today that the victory in the Six-Day War was worse than a defeat."

"Why don't you admit it: You're a European Jew who shows an interest only in European Jews just like yourself. Your heart goes out solely to them.
'I don't have any self-consciousness as a European Jew. This description is barely apt. I hardly think of myself as a Jew. As I see it, I'm an Israeli. An Israeli of Jewish origin.'
That's the definition? An Israeli of Jewish origin?
'I think so. But I have many other loyalties. I'm at home in American culture. I write in Hebrew and English. I've also written a book in German. I have a real kinship with German culture, absolutely.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home